Named after Jan Van Riebeeck, the Dutch Commander who landed on
the shores of Table Bay in 1652, the Van Riebeeck Theatre was situated
at the corner of Long Street and Riebeeck Street, Cape Town and was
opened in 1952 by the 20th Century Fox Organisation.
The seating capacity of the Van Riebeeck was 1508 - accommodated in stalls and
circle sections. It was the last of the large auditorium cinemas to be built in Cape
Town's downtown theatreland and was the first cinema in Cape Town capable of
screening 70mm films with enhanced 6-track magnetic stereo sound.
In the early 1980's the theatre was renovated and became a two screen complex
known as Kine 1 and 2. This complex closed in the early 1990's and the building
was demolished. An office block housing an insurance company has since been
erected on the site.